Mediation is the process of collecting and processing usage/charging data from various networked elements and formatting it in user readable format usually for billing/reporting purposes.
A Mediation system is usually performing below task.
- Collecting and validating CDR from network elements (Switches / MSC’s)
- Filtration (non billing CDR’S)
- Correlation of different input sources CDR’s
- Aggregation of partial CDRs related to the same call.
- CDR Normalisation
- CDR Enrichment (e.g. for adding cost control services)
- Transformation of data as per business logic
- Handling of rated CDR’s UDS i.e. (UDR, BIR, XSC*) * XSC- External subscription charges
- Handling of subscriber lifecycle CDR’s (e.g. first call activation), Periodic Account management CDR’s
- NRTRDE files generation and processing
- Downstream Format mapping ,header and trailer generation
- Roaming services (Voice/Data/SMS) charging (for CAMEL enabled partners)
- Downstream Distribution
Function of Mediation system
Whenever a subscriber/customer uses communication services (Voice,SMS, MMS and Data etc ) from a Service Provider, their usage/charging data are generated at the subsequent network elements.
The usage/charging data is called as Call Detail Record (CDR) in the traditional voice network environment or Internet Protocol Detail Record (IPDR) in the data network environment. Some of the Service Usage Data sources in the network are:
GSM telephony Network Elements;
Voice calls – MSC
SMS traffic – SMSC
Data traffic – GGSN
MMS traffic – MMSC
Roaming CDRs from business partners
Interconnect CDRs from partners
- The CDRs are normally pushed to or pulled from the switches. These file contains header or trailer records containing the number of CDRs in a particular file. The files are generated as they reach a specified count or at regular time intervals.
- There are various protocol supported namely FTP, SFTP, FTAM, X.25, SNMP, SFTP provides a secured way of collecting the CDRs as it uses SSL.
- Once CDR file received, Mediation software start processing the CDR’s. This process involves removal of header and trailer , adding extra filed in CDR to process and finally parsed to check with switch format to validate CDR.
Some mediation software collect CDR from network element at physical path then process it, while some collect the same in buffer and after process , one final CDR is sent for further process and one file sent to Archive directory.
A typical mediation workflow:
18 thoughts on “Telecom Mediation”
witch protocol is used between MSC and mediation to send CDR?
There are various protocol supported namely FTP, SFTP, FTAM, X.25,SNMP.SFTP provides a secured way of collecting the CDRs as it uses SSL.
TCP / IP
can you explain how to byte compare the incoming blocks from switchs anf output genrated for billing
Is there any basic difference between Mediation systems and ETL systems?
I would like to get trained on actual tool like mediation zone or any other tools used for mediation. Where Can I find that trainings schools?
Its a good description to understand Mediation and its flow. I wanna ask you regarding some terms used in Mediation :
What is the difference between Files, CDRs and Records?
What is Filtering and Release in Mediation or we can say what to Filter and Release in CDRs? please give an example.
CDR means Call Detail Record it itself mean record. In a CDR we have complete details of a call made and transferred by switch.
So n number of such call are grouped at switch and are formed as files and transferred (or collected) to mediation system.
Formation of file has different logs say every file need be to at least 2gb then a new file is generated, or 20000 records will for a new file. This is basically a configurable parameter and keeps changing.
Filtering is a method of restricting the CDR type to a downstream, example In a Interconnect Billing down stream they don’t require call made with in the same operator as these are non chargeable, so now when the drown stream is defined for Interconnect we define a rule to validate this case and restrict unnecessary data to interconnect stream.
Hope this give a top level idea.
Is there any difference between Mediation for DWH purpose and Mediation for Billing?
I mean Are there any differcence processes in Mediation system for DWH and Mediation system for Billing?
Billing system requires only billable events, like outgoings and roamer events, they don’t require incoming (if free) or prepaid outgoings.
DWH system requires every event despite of category.
Quite good.But would be better to design complete Architecture.
Good info. Lucky me I discovered your site
by accident (stumbleupon). I have book-marked it for later!
Hi, can you please share the list of content mediation integrators or providers? Besides the usual suspects (Nokia, Ericsson, HP), is there any other player worthwhile considering? Thanks a lot!
Which role mediation plays , Is it development , Testing or anything else??
whr tester is involve in this mediation & what is task for tester ?
Awesome, very well written article. Many important points are covered here.Its really a great and useful piece of information. Im glad that you shared this helpful information with us.
Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog site?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I were a little
bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant transparent